Frequently Asked Questions about Classes
First of all, what about COVID 19? Be assured, I sanitize the tables, sink area and supplies before and after every class. I request the students begin by washing hands at the sink. If you want your child to wear a mask, that is no problem. I no longer wear a mask, especially while instructing but may wear one while walking around looking at the student's work. I do not require the students to wear a mask. If your child is sick or if someone in your home is exposed to Covid 19, I can make arrangements to give you the materials needed to do the work at home for a couple of weeks. I have had Covid and have been vaccinated as well. Hopefully we will stay healthy by eating & resting well and washing our hands...
1. How many students are in each session? Usually six, sometimes as many as eight depending on the class. It’s a lot of personal attention and instruction.
2. Are art supplies included? Yes - we have plenty of supplies on hand. Class supplies stay in the studio. Btw, if your child has a personal item that they would like to draw (or paint etc.) which will be well suited to a specific lesson/project, they may bring it.
3. If my child misses a day, can he/she make it up?
I usually provide a make-up day during the semester - usually a Saturday. Depending on circumstances, I may be able to provide some limited supplies for your child to make up the lesson at home.
4. Where are classes held? Classes are held in my home studio in Woodland Hills, Utah. Upon registration/payment, I will text/email you my address.
5. Will you provide a snack? No. Due to the time frame, please make sure your child has eaten a snack before arriving to class. Please, no snacks in the studio.
6. Will my child's clothes get dirty? Not too dirty but we will work with charcoal and black ink during part of the drawing & printmaking classes and of course, paint, glue, water-based ink etc. for the multimedia class . I have plenty of smocks which they are encouraged to use.
7. Are you licensed and insured? Yes, I am licensed through the city of Woodland Hills and insured through American Family Insurance with a special endorsement for lessons in the home.
8. My child has a medical/emotional need etc. Can I talk to you about it? Of course! (So did some of my children!) I am very open to working with your child's particular needs. I have a sign on the studio door stating, "This is a SAFE SPACE." I hope every student feels happy and encouraged in our class environment.
9. Will my child ever be left alone with you? No. I have a strict policy that the first student to arrive must wait on the front porch until the second or more students arrive. Last two students to leave must go together.
10. Can my child bring their phones or other electronic devices? To promote creative productivity, I request that phones be placed in a basket at the studio door. I realize some students prefer to listen to music with headphones, but unless it is a serious anxiety issue, please encourage them to enjoy the background music I provide. I will also be giving instructions and making comments off and on that need to be heard. Also, the students enjoy socializing with each other and that is always a good thing. If you need to get in touch with your student, feel free to call them on their phone as I usually do not check my phone during class time.
11. My child will be a little late every week - is that okay? Not really. Occasionally, buses are late, snow slows us down, etc. but 1 1/2 hours goes so fast that it is really important that students arrive on time. Otherwise, I have to start all over to explain the lesson before students can get started on their projects.
12. How do I sign up & pay you? Please call me (preferable) or text to sign up. I prefer check, cash or Venmo (@Keri-V-Skousen). If you need to make monthly payments, please call or text to arrange that. Please note - due to limited studio space/enrollment, if you need to cancel your child's enrollment after the semester begins, I am not able to provide a refund unless you get a paying substitute student. I realize children have many interests that can overlap, plus Covid 19 and family issues make life unpredictable, but this policy is in place to keep the art supplies stocked as well as respecting my time. Thank you for understanding.
Any more questions, please feel free to text or call